1. It’s North America’s boom-town.
Toronto has tripled its number of skyscrapers from 13 to 44 in the last 9 years.
2. Toronto just became bigger than Chicago.
Toronto’s 2,791,140 (and growing) vs. Chicago’s 2,707,120 (and shrinking).
3. It’s the world’s most multicultural city.
Nearly half the city’s population was born outside of Canada
4. Toronto does post-industrial in style.
The Distillery District.
5. It even does sewage treatment in style.
The R.C. Harris Water Treatment Plant.
6. Toronto is clean. Like, really clean.
7. It’s safe. Like, really safe. Maybe too safe.
Toronto police during the 2010 G20 summit.
8. Toronto rappers are polite and wholesome…
Started from Toronto now we here.
…while the mayor smokes crack in the projects….
…and gets cranked in public…
… and uses foul language on the regular…
Rob Ford: always enough to eat.
… and nobody seems to see anything wrong with this picture.
9. Toronto’s street meat is superior to yours.
Put me in your mouth.
10. And it’s amazing washed down with the city’s plentiful micro-brews.
11. St. Lawrence Market is one of the best in the world.
12. Pea-meal (Canadian bacon) sandwiches rocks.
13. Brunch is the closest thing to religion they have.
The County General.
14. Toronto makes better poutine than Montreal. Yeah I said it.
Classic poutine = fries, hot beef gravy and melty cheese curds.
15. Toronto’s food scene gives any city on the planet a run for its money.
16. Indy coffee shops outnumber Starbucks by a long shot.
Te Aro coffeeshop.
17. Toronto was tolerant before it was trendy.
18. Its big hometown bank never goes bust.
19. Social housing looks like this.
20. It’s Canada but Torontonians party on the beach every weekend.
Okay, not EVERY weekend.
21. It gets pretty cold, but they don’t seem to mind one bit.
… sometimes they mind.
22. The city has secluded islands just minutes away by ferry.
23. Kensington Market rocks…
Street music on Pedestrian Sundays in Kensington.
…and needs to keep fighting gentrification for Toronto’s sake.
24. There’s a neighborhood for pretty much everyone.
25. They’ve managed to condense all of Asia into a single mall.
26. Toronto has six Chinatowns.
27. …which is great because Torontonians are crazy for Chinese dumplings.
Mother’s Dumplings restaurant.
28. Caribana is the continent’s biggest bash.
29. There’s a museum dedicated to shoes.
Bata Shoe Museum.
30. The wildlife is always sharply dressed.
The stranded Ikea Monkey waits for his ride.
31. … and helps with recycling duties.
32. The old-fashioned streetcars.
33. It’s New York… in the movies.
34. There’s a whole other city underneath the city.
35. (Some) Torontonians will always admit their faults (kinda)…
…like the fact that their public transport is a bit sad…
…and the fact that the government is the sole provider of booze…
… and the soul-sucking sprawl eating up the surrounding farmland.
36. But just past that mess is wine country…
37. …and cottage country…
38. …and some big waterfalls.
39. Jane Jacobs knew that Toronto was a great place to live…
40. …but still too few know how cool this place really is.
visit our web site: www.movemeeasy.ca
follow us on Twitter – http://www.twitter.com/movemeeasy